Geekfest 2017 is less than 24 hours away and the anticipation and excitement are uncontainable. Montecasino is going to be the place to be this weekend and Geek Node is here to keep you covered. There’s a lot happening this weekend and if, like me, you feel overwhelmed at conventions and fests by the large amount of attractions, stalls and talks, don’t stress. The Khanival has got you. I’ve drawn up a short, but concise list of some of the coolest attractions you won’t want to miss at this year’s Geekfest. Bring your battle axes (not really…security will probably stop you if you do), set phasers to stun and prepare to make the jump into hyperspace.
- Battle Heritage SA – Ever felt like you were born to be a knight? Excited for Guy Ritchie’s new King Arthur film? Well, be prepared to strap on some real armour, carry a real sword and go to war with Battle Heritage SA. This is real, hand to hand, medieval style martial arts, where you can not just watch, but also participate. If you want to see how it all works and get pumped, check out our exclusive video we did at Fantasy Fayre here featuring Battle Heritage SA.
- Hashtag Escape – If you’re into solving puzzles and mysteries, get in touch with your inner Sherlock with Hashtag Escape’s mini escape rooms at Geekfest 2017. You’ll have one hour to try and escape by unlocking the secrets and cracking the puzzles with a group of friends.
- Geeklympics – The ultimate test of your geek strength. This is the first year that Geekfest will be holding the prestigious Geeklympics and teams will participate over the two days in various activities while going for gold (not real gold, but great prizes are in store). The Geekletes will have to show off their skills in puzzle solving, various card games, cosplay, quizzes, video gaming and more!
- Robowars – One of Geekfest’s favourite attractions returns this year. Witness some of SA’s best robotics smash and crash in what promises to be an absolute metal feast. Don’t forget to go to Tosche Station to pick up your power converters before you get here, guys.
- Jawa Trading Post – Now this is something I really love about Geekfest. If there are any geeky goods you have that you want to sell or trade, and the WWW ain’t working for you, Geekfest will sort you out. For just R20 per day, you can rent out a box at the venue and the organisers will see to it that your goods get sold. They’ll do the dirty work so you don’t have to and you can just come back at the end of the day and collect your cash. Simple. If you’re shopping, you might find some real gems here.
Those are just a few of the activities you can find at GeekFest 2017. However, if you’re so included, check out our previously announced activities if you wanna see what Geek Node is up to at the event this weekend:
- Indie Game Development Panel – If you’re interested in getting into the local video game development scene, be sure to check out the Indie Game Development Panel, happening on the main stage at 1 pm and hosted by NiteFenix on behalf of Geek Node.
- Chris Jordan hosts GeekFest Radio – Chris Jordan has come home to the world of geek, and to celebrate he will be hosting GeekFest Radio. One day only, at MonteCasino. Chris will also be meeting and greeting with the fans at the Geek Node stall (Stall 81) at various intervals and his book “A Word on Radio” will be on sale throughout the weekend in digital format.
- Geek Node at GeekFest 2017 – Yes, we’ll be there as well at Stall 81, raining down our geeky awesomeness on the masses. We’ll be selling some geeky items as well as running an awesome competition, so be sure to pop around and say hi.
Check out more on our site for continuous updates, plus I’ll be filming a bunch of cool things for you guys over the weekend to check out on our YouTube Channel next week.
For those of you who are still a bit in the dark about some things, we’ve put together a handy little pack which you can print out and use as a guide. Check it out below:
Address: At the Outdoor Event Area, Stalls 78 &79, Monte Casino, Fourways, Gauteng
Event dates & time: May 13 & 14 from 10:00 till late
At the gate on the day: R150 per person
Kids under 12 free entry!
The event will be in the OUTDOOR EVENT AREA – access this through the doors at the back of the Food Court next to Movies @ Monte
Where to find the expo area:
Most importantly, if you need further information, you can head over to their Facebook Page and Like them.
Will you be at GeekFest 2017?
Let us know in the comments below.
Latest posts by Khanival (see all)
- Movie Review: Trolls (DVD) – Get Ready To Sing And Dance And Hug - May 18, 2017
- Event: Geekfest 2017 – Five Things You Don’t Want To Miss - May 12, 2017
- Movie Review: Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children (DVD) – Extra Peculiar Features For Tim Burton Fans - May 5, 2017
- Movie Review: The Magnificent Seven (DVD) – Magnificent Action, Mediocre Story - April 5, 2017
- Movie Review: Bridget Jones’s Baby (DVD) – It’s Good, Just As It Is - February 21, 2017