- Zhang Yimou
- Thomas Tull, Charles Roven, Jon Jashni, Peter Loehr
- Matt Damon, Jing Tian, Pedro Pascal, Willem Dafoe, Andy Lau
For the first time in what feels like forever…there’s been a movie where Matt Damon is not out to be rescued and to the great relief of fans everywhere. Enter, Legendary Films’ latest fantasy epic…The Great Wall. You will no doubt remember Mount Tuesday’s review on the film, which you can find here. He wasn’t quite as impressed as I was, considering our tastes in film vastly differ. I quite liked the set pieces in this film as they went out of their way to construct this larger than life world in which the story plays out. By that same measure, Matt Damon’s acting was quite likeable and I feel that he was a good fit for the role of William. But we aren’t here to review the film again. Instead, today, we will be focusing on the new DVD release.
The DVD by extension is chock a block full of exciting behind the scenes content. This includes:
- Deleted and extended scenes
- Matt Damon in China
- Working with Director Yimou Zhang
- The Great Wall: Visual Effects
- Man vs. Monster
- Weapons of War
- Designing a Spectacular World
Each of these special features takes you deeper into this exciting world, showing not only the incredible amount of work put into it by the actors, the extras and the world renowned director but also the amount of thought put into costumes, creature design as well as the weapons mounted to the wall (and the wall itself).
In my personal opinion, I believe that The Great Wall is not a perfect movie, but it is by no means a terrible movie. It stands to learn from its own mistakes should a sequel ever come out. However, and this needs to be said, the sheer amount of work that has gone into this movie shows on all levels, even though it ultimately fell flat at the box office.
Latest posts by NiteFenix (see all)
- Movie Review: Assassin’s Creed (DVD Review) - August 10, 2017
- Movie Review: Split (DVD Review) - August 10, 2017
- Geek Node News: So Long And Thanks For All The Fish - August 7, 2017
- Movie Review: The Great Wall (DVD Review) - July 20, 2017
- Competition: And our Valerian winners are…. - July 18, 2017